Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I never imagined I would need to file the following request:

For some Delawareans school board elections are sacred in that they are non-partisan and have traditionally been free of outside political influence.  But, this election has been different.  A political action fund has been engaged in mailing offensive campaign literature to Christina voters.  I suppose with all the Race to the Top dollars flowing into Delaware, I should not have been surprised that such a group protecting business and political interest would quickly follow suit.

It's sad, but it's the way things are.  I stand by my history of supporting the Christina School District.  If outside interest groups want to participate in this election, sobeit. But, I do expect them to do so according to campaign finance law.  I'll admit that I am not an expert on this type of activity. Because I am a parent who is a board member and not a politician, I have submitted the following request to the Commissioner of Elections for clarity on the actions engaged by Voices 4 Delaware Education Action Fund:
Please accept this letter as an official request to investigate concerns
regarding the political activities of Voices 4 Delaware Education Action Fund, a
501(c)(4) participating in Delaware's school board elections.

It has been brought to my attention that Voices 4 Delaware Education Action Fund
may be violating Delaware's finance reporting laws in the following manner:

1.  The paid disclaimer printed on their four independent expenditure mailings is incomplete in that it does not identify the Treasurer of their organization.
2. Voices 4 Delaware Education Action Fund has engaged in four independent expenditure mailings to date. Campaign finance law requires such organizations to report within 24 hours of submitting a mailing.  I have been unable to confirm that these filings have occurred.

As a result of these concerns, I am formally requesting an investigation to
ensure that the applicable finance requirements have been satisfied.

Thank you for your assistance with this matter.

Sincerely,


Shirley Saffer

No comments:

Post a Comment