Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Strong Advocate

"I have had two positive experiences with Mrs. Saffer while she has served on the Christina School Board. Both times, she was extremely helpful, and went the extra distance to help me. She lead me in the right direction when no one at the school would help me (they didn't want the negative publicity; and no one was being held accountable for their actions) I know that my persistence in this matter eventually resulted in new rules that should prevent a similar situation from ever taking place again. I could not have done it without Mrs. Saffer's help.

Later in the school year, when the district was making budget cuts, the high school was in jeopardy of losing it's music and theatre departments. My daughter and her friends were actively involved in these programs for four years, and they did not want the school to lose these programs.The children planned a "walk out", and I had heard a rumor that the Principal threatened that any senior caught in this would not be allowed to walk the stage for graduation.

I contacted the school, and was told that this was not the case. After my previous situation, which led to my total distrust in her; I decided to contact Mrs. Saffer and made her aware of this protest.

I know that as Americans, we have the right to protest, and these kids were not to be stopped, they were angry. I gave Mrs. Saffer my word that I would help a few other parents to convince the children to do this peacefully. Mrs. Saffer also showed up, to show her support of the children, and to make sure that everything ran smoothly, and in a positive manner.

I know that Mrs. Saffer has worked tirelessly on behalf of all students in the Christina School District. She is constantly attending as many school activities as she can fit into her schedule; and advertises them all to everyone she knows. It has always been her goal to make our schools the best they can be, encouraging parental involvement.

Shirley is a strong advocate for no bullying, and for trying to keep our children safe, and in school. Her own children are great examples, as honor roll students who are and were active in their perspective schools. I am behind Mrs. Saffer 100 percent, and hope that anyone reading this will do the same."

Rosemary Waggoner Parent

No comments:

Post a Comment