Monday, April 30, 2012

Say No To Bullying

I have been asked why I first ran for school board and why I am running for re-election.  For me, the motivation begins with my own children but goes much further.

My son Justin, who is now a college student, was born with a bi-lateral cleft lip and palate. He attended Jones Elementary School and he loved school until other kids made fun of his lip, bullied him, taunted him and pushed him down the steps. It was after these incidents and while I was a classroom mother that I became more involved as a parent in my school district. I learned firsthand how our schools must have the proper learning environment and sense of security for our children to succeed. I feel the same way about our teachers and staff.  What began as my efforts to help my young son grew to become a passion for ensuring that EVERY child received a quality education and access to the services needed to access that education.

For 16 years I have volunteered in our Christina Schools through the PTA, a Mentor and as a CSD Board Member. Every committee, be it Facility Planning, Early Childhood, Code of Conduct or as a Booster and Drama Club Member is about our children and how we can better their opportunities and career paths while seeing them through to graduation.

As a Christina Board Member, my committment will always be about the children, parents and teachers. I love our District and our Schools.  The last four and half years of service to Christina have been a gift.  Despite the struggles that our district faces, I am as dedicated as ever.  Serving Christina been my full-time job and I hope that you will see fit to re-elect me to this volunteer position.

No comments:

Post a Comment